1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Skullport.net. This site will be updated to support D&D 5th edition rules in the future (near, we hope, still waiting on the books).

A Rogue's Gambit

Discussion in 'Skullport' started by Wilorin, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Wilorin Tenderfoot

Wilorin
    • AC 17
    • HP 8/8
    • Level
    • Experience
    • Next Level
    Neutral, male
    Half-Elf
    Rogue (1)
    Wilorin stood on the roof of the Hobbled Lamia festhall. It was a good vantage point to spy the comings and goings of sailors, labourers and more importantly merchants. The building he stood on was in dire need of repair and he had to be careful where he placed his feet or how he distributed his weight-even standing still he could hear the crackling of the rotting boards under his feet. Quietly, as to not give way that he was there, he adjusted his footing and his weight once again. Even though the odds of him not crashing through the second story ceiling was not in his favour, it was worth the risk as he could watch both The Tradeway and Furlough streets below.

The routine of merchants was his main goal but as he studied the scene below for the third straight day he also noted those who came around in groups armed with swords and bows. They would enter shops, taverns or warehouses and leave a short while later grasping small sacks and smirking. They too, whom-ever they were and worked for also had a routine, and the half-elf rogue put to memory their routes and timings.

Wilorin watched for another hour, hidden in the shadow of a large stalactite that would eventually and inevitably make contact with the wooden surface of the festhall. It was near evening and the yells of cheer from the rowdy crowd two stories below was growing louder with each passing moment. He carefully made his way back to the ground and into the Hobbled Lamia.

Wilorin has earned 46 experience, and 8 gold
  2. Erris Martel Dungeon Master

Erris Martel
    • AC 15
    • HP 9/9
    • Level
    • 1 (ECL 2)
    • Experience
    • Next Level
    Lawful Neutral, female
    Aasimar
    Monk (1)
    Gods, this place was a dive, even by the standards of the Port of Shadow. Erris leaned in a corner of the taproom at the Hobbled Lamia, trying to figure out exactly how one hobbled a lamia, whilst sipping a bit of watered wine.

The stink in here was nigh unbearable, but that wasn't all too uncommon for Skullport. This was a place for the poor, desperate, and despicable: Erris still had little idea why the Grandmaster had sent her to this place. She'd been spending her nights getting rid of people who preyed on the poor in the streets. This isn't something that she would normally do, but there was no law down here, so she had no problem being judge, jury, and executioner when she needed to be. Skullport wasn't a place of balance, and she was trying her best to make the place a little bit safer.

Tonight she was posing as a prostitute. This was a place for prostitutes, after all, but she was using her cover to follow a group of men who were kidnapping homeless children off the streets. The Skulls didn't care about the children down here, but she would protect them if she could.

As her eyes were flicking around the room, she noticed a known thief wandering into the taproom. She was glad that she wasn't carrying any money on her tonight.

Erris Martel has earned 40 experience, and 5 gold
    Wilorin likes this.
  3. Wilorin Tenderfoot

Wilorin
    • AC 17
    • HP 8/8
    • Level
    • Experience
    • Next Level
    Neutral, male
    Half-Elf
    Rogue (1)
    Wilorin wasn't in Skullport for all that long, a few weeks, maybe more. He wasn't sure as it took time for him to figure out the bells and to remember what each represented. What he did quickly learn was that this festhall was the best place to learn about businesses, traders, and who's who of the Port of Shadow. This was one of the few places where the Skulker groups put aside their differences, raised mugs in cheer, and spread gossip. It was shared gossip and rumours that helped these groups of criminal bands, merchants, and adventurers to survive or to not be sold into slavery.

Even though the occasional alliance would be formed between one Skulker group and another, there was no trust between any of them, and that normally resulted in spontaneous outbreaks of fights and brawls. It was one of the reasons why Alysae let the building go into near ruin.

Wilorin was sure such a brawl was going to happen when one word from Alysae put a stop to the pushing and shoving between a group of dwarfs and humans over a missing purse: "Mudassalin".

She was hard to understand, but everyone knew what that word meant. It was almost time for the next mud-wrestling match. The rogue could not see the contestants from his vantage point so made his way over next to an obvious woman of the evening.

"Never seen you here before," he spoke with a mischievous grin. "Betting on the winner is mandatory. Starts at 5 pieces of copper," he informed her.

Wilorin reached into the coin bag he acquired a few minutes ago as a group of humans staggered passed him, and produced a silver piece. "Me name's Wilorin," he said as he performed a half-hearted bow as his stomach grumbled from the lack of food. "I'll cover the wager if you don't have the coin."

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
    Wilorin has earned 46 experience, and 6 gold
  4. Erris Martel Dungeon Master

Erris Martel
    • AC 15
    • HP 9/9
    • Level
    • 1 (ECL 2)
    • Experience
    • Next Level
    Lawful Neutral, female
    Aasimar
    Monk (1)
    "Thank you, Wilorin. I'm Erris, and I don't tend to carry money on me." She extended her hand demurely.

She glanced to her side, following the kidnappers as they headed for the mudpit. Taking Wilorin's hand, she led him towards them, pushing her way through the crowd.

There were four men. All of them were larger than her, of course, but that wasn't anything new. She knew how to use an opponent's strength and balance against him. All were armed: clubs, daggers, a short sword. One of them looked like he knew a few spells, judging by the scorched pouch he tried to keep hidden under his shirt. Probably for a hold person spell. She shuddered.

Her new companion, Wilorin, looked like he could handle himself in a fight, but she had no idea if he would back her up. Thieves were fickle, and she carried no money. She needed a way to get him on her side.

"Wilorin, I'll hold our place here. Why don't you go make a few bets for me? I know nothing of the combatants. When you come back, maybe you could explain the rules? I'm pretty new around her."

Her handle gently brushed his chest, and then she smiled as she gently pushed him away to make bets.

"Keep them wanting more." her etiquette teacher had said to her.

Erris Martel has earned 39 experience
  5. Wilorin Tenderfoot

Wilorin
    • AC 17
    • HP 8/8
    • Level
    • Experience
    • Next Level
    Neutral, male
    Half-Elf
    Rogue (1)
    "From my short time here, not carrying a gold purse seemed like a good idea..." he paused for a moment, "until you come across one or two who are just as happy to take anything else you may have to offer, in exchange."

Wilorin turned his head slightly as Erris looked steadily at four men who were making their way to the mudpit. Three of the men he didn't recognise, but the one with the short sword he did. He seen him the other day from the rooftop exiting Thimblewine's Pawnshop clutching a bag in his his hand, looking satisfied. The rogue had never seen anyone come out of the gnome's shop happy, so he made a note to pay a visit to the owner at a later time.

As Erris clutched his hand to take him towards the mudpit, he couldn't help but to wonder why she was interested in that particular group.

Her actions to him were suspicious; she had her own agenda that much was clear--but didn't everyone whom made this place their home?

Wilorin nodded to her and took a step back before turning to head back to the bar as the combatants walked past him towards the pit. The competition always consisted of two sets of two competitors, paired off as equally as Alysae could (although some pairings seemed odd, she knew their abilities, an edge over most of the patrons). One's bet was not on who wins the first two mud fights, but who wins the final that consisted of the two winners.

The rogue stroked his face as he watched a half-elf female and male rock gnome stroll past followed by a male human and a male dwarf, both of whom were well muscled. His first instinct was the dwarf, but he knew Alysae would not make the final round that easy. As he approached the owner he handed her one piece of silver. "I and Erris bet on the female," he stated in a flat-uncaring tone. It wasn't his money after-all.

Alysae looked surprised but took his silver anyways.

With their bet placed he made his way back to the mysterious woman he had just made his acquaintance with a few moments ago.

Wilorin has earned 63 experience, and 8 gold
  6. Erris Martel Dungeon Master

Erris Martel
    • AC 15
    • HP 9/9
    • Level
    • 1 (ECL 2)
    • Experience
    • Next Level
    Lawful Neutral, female
    Aasimar
    Monk (1)
    She put on a smile as Wilorin made his way back. The kidnappers were looking self-satisfied, making bets and trash talking the competitors. When she took them out, she needed to keep one alive long enough to find out where they were grabbing the kids and taking them.

"I'm going to level with you, Wilorin." she began as the competitors entered the pit. "You've noticed me looking at those four men. Now, I live here in the Port, and there are a lot of things I can turn a blind eye to. Thievery, for instance."

She paused for a moment to let that stick. She put her arm around the thief and put her head on his shoulder.

"A good burglar is an artist, after all. But these four, they've been kidnapping homeless children. And that will never sit right with me. I'm not perfect. I've got blood on my hands..."

Her eyes narrowed and she gritted her teeth.

"And by the end of the night, I'm going to have the blood of those four on my hands."

Erris Martel has earned 30 experience, and 5 gold
  7. Wilorin Tenderfoot

Wilorin
    • AC 17
    • HP 8/8
    • Level
    • Experience
    • Next Level
    Neutral, male
    Half-Elf
    Rogue (1)
    The sudden confession of her intentions caught the rogue off guard. Normally folks kept their agendas to themselves, and to those few they trusted-somewhat-to help carry out their schemes. For reasons he could not fathom, she seemed generally concerned for the well-being of those pint-sized whining beggars he had shooed away on more than one occasion.

It was now clear why she had been spying those four men-one of which he had strong interest in. Aiding her could prove beneficial to his own self-interests. And by the sounds of it, she had all the confidence in taking the four on herself. There was more to Erris than she was letting on, and that was fine with him as he was no fighter. What he was was a rogue, an opportunist who lived by the code of only striking when you have the upper hand, and normally that was in the back of his opponent.

She knew he had lifted the purse from one of the group, and as she rested her head on his shoulder he could not help to wonder if their meeting up was by her design.

His stomach grumbled once again in dissatisfaction in not being filled. His meal would have to wait.

As he moved her from him a slight breeze from her hair caught his attention, he had to admit she smelled as lovely as she looked. And with that he had an idea.

"I'll help ya, Aasimar, to get to the bottom of the missing children," he began. "Give me a minute, then use your feminine wilds to lure them four behind this building. I may not be in plain sight when you get there, but I'll be there."

Wilorin left the tavern, headed to an adjacent alley and made his way back up to the roof top he had climbed down from shortly before. He removed a dagger he had concealed behind his back and laid it on the roof, exactly one arms length away, it's tip facing him. He produced a small crossbow, loaded it, and waited with practise patience for the five to appear below.

Wilorin has earned 60 experience, and 10 gold
    Erris Martel likes this.